This post contains affiliate links, please see disclosures for more information.
The overarching idea of these engineering challenges will to be to build a sculpture using only natural items. Just as a professional engineer goes through the engineering process, so will the kids while they sculpt. They will define the problem, or challenge, identify any requirements or limitations on materials, brainstorm a solution, build their prototype and test it to see if it solves the problem. They will redesign their sculpture as necessary.
Here are some nature sculpture engineering challenge ideas:
- Design and build a sculpture made of round rocks, stacked at least 4 rocks high.
- Design and build a sculpture that can hold water.
- Design and build a sculpture that is an inverted pyramid- where the small stones are on the bottom and the large ones on the top!
- Design and build a woven sculpture.
- Design and build a sculpture made of leaves.
- Design and build a wall either of sticks or rocks that is sturdy enough for you to sit on.
- Design and build a tower made of sticks that can hold a rock the size of your fist on top.
- Design and build a sturdy log cabin structure.
- Design and build a sturdy tee-pee shaped structure.
Here are some other great Outdoor STEAM activities to try:
Watermelon Seed Spitting Measurement from Schooling a Monkey
Dry Ice Film Canister Rockets from Science Kiddo
Simple Ways to Take STEAM Outdoors from Little Bins for Little Hands